Two of our clients are running promos right now and wanted to promote them (of couse) on Facebook. I’m sure you’ve seen the new timeline format by now everything is moving to that format at the end of the month.
We used to be able to point people to like the page, or use a promo in the profile image, but no more! Facebook changed the layout (again) and updated the rules on what you can and can’t stick in that main image, called the cover image.
Here’s a link to what Facebook has to say: https://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=276329115767498
Your cover image has to follow these guidelines:
1. NO pricing information
So that means, no 40% off, or Download the book at our website, etc. Kind of annoying, but I get why: they are trying to make it more human, more conversational and limit every marketing department’s desire to stick a bunch of promos up there.
2. NO contact info
You can’t put your URL, your phone, your email, email, nothing, nada, on how to contact you or your website. Put that in posts or in your About section.
3. NO references to Facebook’s features
You can’t ask people to “like” or “share” your page. And you definitely can’t ask people to “get it now” or “tell your friends”.
Contests and Promos
Specifically for promos or contests, here are some new rules directly from Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/promotions_guidelines.php. I’d rather not mess up their legal language.
These Promotion Guidelines, along with the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, the Ad Guidelines, the Platform Policies and all other applicable Facebook policies, govern your communication about or administration of any contest, competition, sweepstakes or other similar offering (each, a promotion) using Facebook.
If you use Facebook to communicate about or administer a promotion, you are responsible for the lawful operation of that promotion, including the official rules, offer terms and eligibility requirements (e.g., age and residency restrictions), and compliance with regulations governing the promotion and all prizes offered in connection with the promotion (e.g., registration and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals). Please note that compliance with these Guidelines does not constitute the lawfulness of a promotion. Promotions are subject to many regulations and if you are not certain that your promotion complies with applicable law, please consult with an expert.
- Promotions on Facebook must be administered within Apps on Facebook.com, either on a Canvas Page or an app on a Page Tab.
- Promotions on Facebook must include the following:
a. A complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant.
b. Acknowledgment that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
c. Disclosure that the participant is providing information to [disclose recipient(s) of information] and not to Facebook.
- You must not use Facebook features or functionality as a promotions registration or entry mechanism. For example, the act of liking a Page or checking in to a Place cannot automatically register or enter a promotion participant.
- You must not condition registration or entry upon the user taking any action using any Facebook features or functionality other than liking a Page, checking in to a Place, or connecting to your app. For example, you must not condition registration or entry upon the user liking a Wall post, or commenting or uploading a photo on a Wall.
- You must not use Facebook features or functionality, such as the Like button, as a voting mechanism for a promotion.
- You must not notify winners through Facebook, such as through Facebook messages, chat, or posts on profiles (timelines) or Pages.
- Ads may not imply a Facebook endorsement or partnership of any kind. Ads linking to Facebook branded content (including Pages, groups, events, or Connect sites) may make limited reference to “Facebook” in ad text for the purpose of (1) fulfilling your obligations under Section 2 and (2) clarifying the destination of the ad. All other ads and landing pages may not use our copyrights or trademarks (including Facebook, the Facebook and F Logos, FB, Face, Poke, Book, and Wall) or any confusingly similar marks, except as expressly permitted by our Brand Usage Guidelines or with our prior written permission.
a. By administration we mean the operation of any element of the promotion, such as collecting entries, conducting a drawing, judging entries, or notifying winners.
b. By communication we mean promoting, advertising or referencing a promotion in any way on Facebook, e.g., in ads, on a Page, or in a Wall post.
c. By contest or competition we mean a promotion that includes a prize of monetary value and a winner determined on the basis of skill (i.e., through judging based on specific criteria).
d. By sweepstakes we mean a promotion that includes a prize of monetary value and a winner selected on the basis of chance.